22 May 2011

Autobahn hitchin'

According to my ideal plan the route should have 1550 km. Reality is not that beautiful. I did over 1950 km. But happily I skipped heavy rain and sleeping outside.

Over 400 km more but warm and dry
Day 1

I started with my first, shortest but most luxurious ride to the hearth of Chamonix a bit after nine. Quick shopping, bit of hiking and two rides later I ended thumbing at Col de Montet. With some patience I got ride with two American guys and experienced great company and smoking breaks in their rented car. On this occasion: thanks Jason and Jeramy. Have fun in Alps.

Col de Forclaz where we stopped before started to burn brakes
Hitched out of Martigny with a little help of former hitch-hiker to just bit better place, but with very little traffic. Ride with young French girl compensated my long waiting and in few rides German border was crossed. I was forced to speak French and it wasn't that bad. I'm going to learn this sweet language soon. So I was in EU again! Not on autobahn yet, but luckily got there quite fast. Beautiful ride with hippie lady going to Netherlands gave me some progress. It was already quite late but still bright. Following ride came in just few minutes and changed my route quite significantly.

Day 2

I ended up in Michendorf Süd service area on Berliner Ring. All I had to do was get to northern part of Berlin, or go to opposite direction. Which I did. Luckily just 2 km of walk let me enter service area on opposite side of highway. I got picked up in reasonable amount of time. You can find it on my map as section between Postdam and Hannover. No, it's not Hangover. That's just double 'N'. I met two other Polish hitchers on their way to Netherlands. They slept in a tent in service area. With a Hungarian driver I made some more progress and bit later I met nice German girl which I inspired I hope. She drove me all the way to Danish border. Thanks girl and get some nice ideas how and where to travel! Following driver was also interesting, but dropped me off in very unfortunate place with almost zero traffic. I spent there about 3 hours together with another hitcher. After getting to Copenhagen I found much better spot just 5 minutes of walk from there! Sometimes access to google maps on the road could save you a lot of time. But anyway we were more lucky later and in few rides we reached Copenhagen together. One of the last rides was quite exceptional. First, because I wasn't waiting for a driver, the driver was waiting for me. Second, because he used to hitch-hike a lot, and told us really interesting stories. Thanks to good preparation and bit of luck finding my uncle's place was easy.

9:19 PM : destination
Now it's time to have good shower and rest my head. Flight just in couple of days!

Keep on reading, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment