23 April 2011

Reviewing Polish way of life

I came to Gdynia to meet my friend and sister later. You can still see old construction from period of cold war.

Military shelter next to main street

I was instantly warmly welcomed and offered some interesting activities. My friend lives with two crazy sailing tutors which liked my idea of hitching a sailboat in Croatia. They gave me some advices about how the after-sailing-paperwork works and we spent rest of night watching some original, old Polish movie about forest workers and of course drinking beers and laughing.

 

Next evening my friend took me for short cycling trip. We were resting on beach and in the evening we went to house party where we were painting Easter eggs. It was bunch of fun and all of us enjoyed it.


Young people work hard in here to pay their high bills and spend rest for everyday entertainment. There's a lot to do, but they usually pick pricey activities which suck their small wages till the end. They also seem not to care about their credit card balance like they were richer than Western Europe.

Road next to ferry terminal connecting Gdynia and Karlskrona in Sweden.
City looks like authorities have already forgotten about its 95% or they just don't have enough money. Road surfaces and pavements are really bad quality. There are quite rich looking parts of Gdynia, but it's just big corporations money that makes it look exceptional. It seems that there's poor or at least not fair redistribution of money in Polish economy. It means there's some very rich people in Poland and rest have to work hard to 'achieve' something. Foreign corporations hold more than government I guess and it's not Poles that are rich here.

I'm just getting ready to leave now and see my good old friend on way back to hometown. Weather is surprisingly nice and I feel ensured to hit the road in days.

No comments:

Post a Comment