19 April 2011

Visiting post-soviet Poland

That was a long, long way home. 1700 km I guess. First thing impressed me when I crossed Polish border was low quality sett road just right after first exit of highway. Not that Poland have highways. Government is just trying to pretend that those tiny bits of express ways are actually highways. I was really amazed with traffic. Every single intersection confused me more and more. I even started to wonder how I managed to get my driving license in this country? My friend who hosted me for night on my way insisted me to park my car inside private garage. The answer for my obvious question (why?) was simple: car burglars! How is that possible? In country where kg of sugar costs one hour of work everything is possible. Or it's just TV-and-news-bullshit-brainwash-effect? Szczecin City looks ugly. It reminds me other post-communistic countries I've seen before. On a short walk around post soviet looking part of city I tried to find some traces of modern civilization like dog poop sack dispenser, but I found lot of turds on grass instead. Speaking about walking. Never try to cross a street without ensuring there's no car approaching. Even when you're already on zebra crossing cars may pass you very fast and you can hardly find any driver that will stop and wait. Maybe it's just a way to save fuel and being green. People on the streets or while shopping look sad. Apparently they agree that Poland is rubbish. And sadly it's true.
Place where I hung for few days
So I'm trying to sort some things out to be ready to hit the road, but I feel like my list is endless. I hoped to schedule everything before, but there was much better things to do during last days in Valleé Blanche. I was lucky to manage to meet some of my friends and say goodbye or rather see you soon. It's been just few days but I already miss the Alps. Happily my supplies of French wine will save me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment