23 July 2011

Undiscovered Bosnia

After few nice days spent with new friends I was ready to go. This time my destination was Bosnia. I didn't know what to expect after crossing border, but I was about to figure it out soon.

Oldschool way of crossing borders
After few minutes of thumbing on border, some driver pulled over and I got to Bihać very quickly. That wasn't my destination for today, but town itself surprised me with free city WiFi, not that bad architecture and nice river with islands. Prices went a bit down, and quality of bakeries went up. That's we all like.

Burek started to taste better
People seem to be more friendly and laid back. It's exceptional in 'Europe' that truck driver stops to pick you up, but here is not.

Truck hitchin'
Because I started quite late, I reached our destination very late.


It was midnight sharp when I saw 'Zelenkovac' sign, but luckily there was still some people hanging around. Boris accommodated me in small room upstairs. He used to be called 'Insane Boro' by locals. Mainly because he decided to stay instead of emigrate. After tens of years he managed to establish his calm way of living in beautiful place in forest. The sing under entrance to the main building says 'Gallery: Why didn't Boro leave?'.

Not Hollywood but also great


Having good time with group of international students
I spent four nights and most of the days in Zelenkovac enjoying beautiful nature and great, friendly people, but one day I went to nearest town called Mrkojnić Grad. There are still some tensions between nations in here and it doesn't fit to the nature.

Kosovo is Serbia

Beautiful Bosnian landscape
Old buildings contrast with new fancy fountains. Modern banks, markets and other companies buildings contrast with ruins and traces from bullets on facades.


Back side of Hotel Krajina
Back to Zelenkovac Eco Village again. It's a bit commercial place now if you just want to drop in and have a beer, but you're always welcome to bring something to this noble venture. It might be something from as easy as translating their website to as hard as helping with construction. Other nice thing is that CouchSurfers are always warmly welcomed. It's worth recommending if you are travelling in Bosnia and want to chill out for few days or if you want to volunteer for a while. Boro is really great man.

Magical place

No comments:

Post a Comment